The Department of Sustainability and Environment has urged people not to feed native birds after hundreds were found dead in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
The suspected cause was bacterial bowel infection necrotic enteritis. DSE biodiversity incident planning officer Kirsty Greengrass said the infection was easily spread.
“The disease is spread through droppings from sick birds and a single sick bird can easily pass it on to healthy birds congregating at feed sites,” Ms Greengrass said.
Birds have enough natural food available. Dead birds should be disposed of by using a plastic bag as a glove, then double bagged and put in the bin. Birds should not be buried because dogs or cats may dig them up. The CELESTIAL Convergence